This email is floating around the internet. Listed below are some of the know Guyanese sayings. Very funny and true.
1. De back of ya remote got scotch tape.
2. Ya know bout pluggin' out ya TV to turn it off.
3. Ya know bout keepin' rain water fo drink.
4. Shopping bags from de grocery store is also garbage bags.
5. Uncle George and Aunty Pam and half de other people ya call uncle and aunt are not really related to you!
6. Space in de living room is unacceptable and must be occupied by something you don't actually need.
7. You know what a plate clat and floor clat is.
8. You recycle oil.
9. It's cool to have fairy lights all year long.
10. Bun bun is food.
11. A ole bicycle tire is a toy.
12. De dishwasher is also known as ur lil sister or lil brother.
13. Powder milk and sugar is a snack.
14. Your Grandma call a wife beater a singlit.
15. Jumping up and down could give you narra.
16. A mistress is known as a "sweetwoman."
17. A blackout is normal.
18. Bugs are bugs; a ca-ca-roach is something totally different.
19. Ghosts are known as Jumbies and Bacoos.
20. All footwear is known as boots.
21. You get a cold, you drink bush tea.
22. All barrels from farrin includes Cadbury chocolate...with almond.
23. You know bout brushin ya teeth with salt and water.
24. You straighten ya hair, not perm it!
25. A frog is called a Cropo; and throwin' salt pun it back will kill it.
26. Christmas means pepperpot and sorrel, not eggnog!
27. A bottle is called a "bokle" and it's cap is a "cark" and they come in cases, not six packs.
28. Soda, juice and anything other than water is "drink."
29. Dog food is always leftovers.
30. Deodorant is roll-on.!
31. You've used your towel as a shower curtain at least once in your life.
32. Straws, plastic spoons and forks can all be converted into a toothpick.
33. Gossip is ah "seh seh."
34. You call your alcoholic uncle ah "Sa-gi-wang."
35. "Bamba laytee bam bam" means ur in trouble.
36. Your ten year old is a bottle of rum.
37. You go to college, your family feel you know everyting.
38. Crush up news papers was once a substitute for toilet paper.
39. Having a dog or cat on the bed, or anywhere in the house for that matter, is NOT normal to you.
40. You have home clothes, church clothes, sleeping clothes, wuk clothes and "good" clothes.
41. Your childhood games were "Gam," "Hap Scatch," "Dog and de bone" , "One Two Three Red Light", "Bun Down House", "Sal Out", "War Break" and "Catcha!"
42. Ya hood had "Chinee" restaurants.
43. You've heard "Don't tek ya eye and pass me!" at least once in your life.
44. You reply with "Me and you eye neva went fo a race!"
45. Ya know bout throwin' a bucket ah water in de toilet bowl to flush it.
46. You have at least one family member that'll tell you "I know u since ya small suh!"
47. Nicknames are based on physical attributes. eg: Blackie, Tall man, Smiley and fine gurl.
48. Gum is chico.
49. Ya hear de name "Sharma" and you automatically start laughin'.
50. Ya know what it is to collect "Prags."
51. Beginning a question with "When last" is normal to you!
52. New Years Eve is "Old Years Night."
53. Your vocabulary contains words like"Pattacake," "Pokey " and "Banna"! (Shoulda been #1!)
54. You know what "Schupidy" mean!